Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Let's get this party started!!

My vacation lasts a little longer than I expected.  It rained the one day I was at the beach, so I stayed a little longer :D.

Anyway, down to business; the supply list for the mystery quilt.  Hopefully, you will have fabric on hand for the blocks so you won't have to purchase any.

Here's a little hint as to what we will be creating, think The Starry Night (1889) by Vincent Van Gogh.  The sky at twilight with the various shades of the sky and the buildings.


Border 1: 1/4 yard

Border 2: 1 3/4 yard

Backing: 1 2/3 yards (make sure the fabric is at least 44" wide without the selvages otherwise you will need two additional scraps 3" x 60")

Binding: 1/2 yard

For the blocks, you will need at least 12 different 1/8 yard pieces of fabric.  Here's the color key for the blocks:

white - lightest colored scraps - example - white on white
light gray - examples - ecrus, light blues, light greys
medium gray - examples - reds, tans, medium greys, greens, blues, violets
dark gray - examples - browns, purples, dark greys, dark greens
black - very dark colored scraps examples - eggplants, forest greens, maroons,
yellow - warm prints to simulate starlight and window lights

And here's the first block (Garret Windows), make one, finished size 6 1/4" x 6 1/4" (includes a 1/4 seam allowance):


Here's the color code for this block; see above for color suggestions.

white = white or lighest colored scraps
light gray = use light/medium colored scraps
medium gray = use medium colored scraps
dark gray = use medium/dark colored scraps
black = use darkest colored scraps
yellow = starlight/window lights

I'm still available to anyone who wants to meet up on Sunday, July 10th.  If you find you can't understand my directions or need any additional help, feel free to send me an email; crazyseams@gmail.com 

Final thought, I really hope none of you have seen this before LOL!  If you have, please don't spoil it.  I will reveal the site I borrowed this mystery quilt from when we complete all the blocks.

Have fun and happy quilting!!!

1 comment:

  1. What are the dimensions for each shape in the piece? I understand the amounts needed for the whole quilt, but am unsure where the directions are to actually piece the block together. I do like the design!

    ReplyDelete