Sunday, June 12, 2011

Decision time

Hi all, so first we have to decide what we want to work on.  I have two ideas in mind that I think would be fun for all.

The first is a mystery quilt.  I've been researching them and found one that I think everyone will like.  It's more of a wall hanging size quilt at only 35" x 54" but has all straight seams (easy peasy for a novice).  The way it works is that I will give you a supply list then one block at a time.  Now for some blocks, you will need to make more than one.  I give a few days for each block before I assign the next one.  I believe I will be able to post each block so we will not have to meet up until everyone has all their blocks made.  You will not know what the final quilt will look like until we meet up to assemble all the blocks.  If this is something we all like, then we can take turns being the quilt master "who knows all and sees all" and lead the group in another mystery quilt.  The one I'm looking at even has a short story to it.  And it's a "mystery"!!! LOL

The second is a theme quilt.  We will have to decide on a subject matter, color and style themes.  For example, flowers, pastel colors and traditional style fabric prints.  This quilt can be as big as we want to make it.  Each quilter will be given two or three blocks, five or six of each, to complete then a few weeks later we meet up and exchange blocks and begin assembling our quilts.

The other thing we need to vote on is when and where do you ladies want to meet.  I would like a Sunday afternoon and I will host the first get together.  Everyone can bring their machines (or use one of mine) to  work on the first block and we can set up in my dinning room.  My DH will take the children to the ILs so we can be alone for a few hours.  Anyone up for Sunday, July 10th, 1-3 PM?  This will give us all a chance to decide on what we want to work on and an opportunity for collecting supplies.

Now it's up to you to decide which quilt y'all want to work on.  Please use the comment space below to leave your preference or other idea.  Remember, majority rules, not me. 

I am super excited about having a quilting group.  Like I said in my post, I don't usually quilt but have always wanted to get serious about it.

4 comments:

  1. I am more of a modern quilter, so I would do a modern spin on something with pastel colors and flower prints (not so big on those in just those forms) but I LOVE the idea of a mystery quilt, especially in a nice small size like that. And other themes are cool as well as long as we can interpret them! I am also excited about getting people together. I think we all have knowledge, tips, resources, and ideas to encourage each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like mystery quilt too and I think a small quilt would be a good first project then maybe once the group gets going we can tackle something bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mystery quilt would be a good first project for the group since we can interpret the fabrics/colors in what we like. This sounds like fun! I won't be able to meet the 10th because I'll be out of town. But I can just catch up via this website...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm out July 10...the Triangle Modern Quilt Guild meets that day from 5-7 and since we have 1 car, that will be my main activity of the day. However, I can participate virtually! I can also help by posting my favorite quilting tutorials, blogs, and videos.

    ReplyDelete